Sunday, August 9, 2009

Julie and Julia


I have been waiting for this movie for a long time. I read My Life in France, the Julia Child's portion of the book about a year after studying abroad in France. I read Julie and Julia this past spring, right before the previews for the movie were to come out. The movie left many of the same impressions I had of the books. Please give me more Julia Child and less Julie Powell. This is not meant to be a movie critique by any means; I actually was very entertained throughout the whole film regardless of the era being shown. I think some of my obsession shows a bit of a biased opinion on this one though. I will say the Meryl Streep is ridiculously good as an actress. She completely captures Julia Child's voice, gestures, flares, and love of food and her husband.


People in the audience laughed and cheered at some of Julia's parts. I couldn't help but think though that no one laughing possibly understood the passion of the food or the joy from truly tasting a meal. Julia loved food, but she also loved life and wanted to live it to the fullest extent possible. People today are all rush rush rush. You don't have to eat a lot to have good meal. You simple have to savor what you have in front of you. The movie did try to portray this but Streep did such a fine job with Child's eccentric ways it was lost.



It's fun to get together and have something good to eat at least once a day. That's what human life is all about-enjoying things. - Julia Child



Finally before I can end this post I must tell all what really made this evening memorable. Can you imagine someone getting sick in a movie theater? I can honestly say there are about a handful of places I would not want to be when some stranger throws up. Well low and behold last night about 3 minutes into the movie someone a few seats away lets it go. Being that the movie had already started there were not many empty seats left. I managed to get a bit further way from the incident scene but the thought of what was left behind never left my mind for much of the movie. I had been waiting so long to see this movie I was not about to get up and go home. Awww, my only comment is that if you don't feel well, stay home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...