Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Minestrone Soup

I won't say winter is officially here but after the much unexpected snowstorm this past weekend let's just say things got a bit chilly.  I needed something warm to eat to heat me from the inside out.  I have a confession that I am a bit in love with Olive Garden's all-you-can-eat soup and salad meal.  I always get the Minestrone soup.  I think it is the most salty thing I ever eat.  EVER.  But it is really good and I eat it up.

I have been craving it lately.  When you add my cravings to cold weather, soup was non-negotiable on the menu this week.  I am trying really hard to make one crock pot meal each week.  Thus, crock pot minestrone soup. This recipe is a throw it all in and wait.

It wasn't Olive Garden but it hit the spot Monday night.  Next time I would cook the pasta separately and add it in the end. The pasta kind of disintegrated in 8 hours of cooking.

 

Minestrone Soup

Ingredients:

2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes with liquid
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup small shell pasta 
1 cup shredded kale
1 15.5-oz. can cannellini beans, drained

Grated Parmesan, for serving, optional

Directions:

1. Combine carrots, celery, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Pour in broth and stir in tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and Italian seasoning. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.

2. Thirty minutes before serving, stir in pasta, escarole and beans. Cover, increase heat to high and cook until pasta is tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.

7 comments:

  1. Mm, you gotta love a good minestrone! Looks like a great recipe!
    You're right, whenever I make noodle soups, the noodles go in at the end, unless you love reeeeally mushy pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get the minestrone with my soup and salad deal too! With LOTS of the grated parmesan on top! And it is perfect for a cold day. Hope you're staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love minestrone soup! It's so perfect for vegetarians since you can easily sub vegetable stock for the chicken stock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup does look like it would warm the soul! And it's always great when you can make it in the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Phoenix and have been seriously jealous of your snow! Warming up with a bowl of this soup and bundling up sounds perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely the best thing at Olive Garden is the soup.My favorite is zupa toscana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I love that it's a fix and forget meal! I can see how the pasta would disintegrate after the cooking time...but it thickened the soup up nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...