Friday, January 31, 2014

Oreo Chocolate Pie


January is done today and I am glad to say good bye. This month was so busy and super cold. Not sure anything special happen. I am ready to move on.


And with January ending come February and Valentine's Day.  I love Valentine's Day. In my little world it is about chocolate and all things pink. What is not to like?





My New Year's diet is one sweet dessert per week. At least one sweet dessert per week made by me. I might pick up a cookie here and there when I travel but those don't count.  Anyway, this week was a delicious Oreo chocolate pie. I was planning on making French Silk pie but then Oreos were on sale and next thing I knew two packages made a home in my cart.




I don't typically swoon for pies. Fruit desserts are not my favorite.  I remember growing up and begging my parents for French Silk pie at any gathering when we went to The Village Restaurant or Perkins.  Remember those?  This pie has smooth, rich chocolate filling and made me weak in the knees. And that is before the Oreo crust and homemade whipped cream topping.




I seriously could have had the whole thing at once but had to use my strongest will power to walk away. 


Chocolate Oreo Pie

by Emily Morris, adapted from Pioneer Woman
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: refrigerate 2 hours
Ingredients (serves 8)
For the Oreo Crust:
  • 1 package of Oreos, minus 4 cookies
  • 4 Tbsp butter, melted
For the Filling:
  • 4 ounces, weight bittersweet baking chocolate
  • 1 cup salted butter, Softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 whole eggs
For the whipped cream:
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions
For the Oreo Crust:
Place Oreo cookies in a food processor and run on high until crushed. Combine in a medium bowl with the melted butter. Press into a 9 inch pie pan.

For the Filling:
In small microwave safe bowl melt baking chocolate until smooth. Cook for 30 seconds at a time stirring after each interval. Set aside to cool.

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter and white sugar until fluffy (about 1 to 2 minutes). When melted chocolate is cooled, drizzle it over the butter/sugar mixture.

Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat the mixture thoroughly until combined. Switch attachment for the KitchenAid to the whisk.

Turn mixer to a medium speed and add one egg at a time, leaving about 5 minutes between each egg addition. This process should take about 20 minutes and in the end the mixture will be light, and fluffy.

Once the pie filling is well mixed, pour it into the Oreo crust. Smooth out the pie filling and place pie in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours (preferably longer).

For the whipped cream:
In the bowl of a stand mixer add 1 cup of whipping cream. Carefully turn on and increase speed to medium high. Once the cream starts to thicken, add vanilla and sugar. Continue to beat until thick and the peaks can hold their shape. About 5 minutes in total.

Finish the pie with whipped cream and remaining Oreos.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE OREO'S! I love Oreo Piiiie! Yayyyy!!!

    and omgosh I hope February is warmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO!!! I need a slice of this pie! Looks amazing, Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know two kids and a hubby that would devour this in one sitting. What a delicious and fun pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oreos are so good, this pie looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...